March 30, 2008

For the record

I NEED BLEACH


Anywho....that's not what this is about. I have a few gripes about Linux in general.

1) Why do the programs suck for the most part? I mean I understand that everything is free and that people devote a lot of their time to making programs for my benefit, which I am thankful for. But seriously, for having such a dedicated community of followers, I expected a higher quality of work. A perfect example of this would be Amarok(supposedly the best music manager). Maybe I just didn't dick around with it enough. But, I thought this program was absolutely terrible. I was extremely awkward to work with.

2) Sound. First off why the fuck does my song play for another minute? It's arbitrary number...but some shit has played for a LONG time. Ever accidentally click on the wrong episode of your favorite show? Yeah.....that sucks. You might as well just reboot.

3) Screen resolution. I don't like to be stuck with one screen resolution. Why the fuck would an OS deny you of multiple screen resolutions?

4) Sounds again. I'm not sure if this is just applicable to laptop or not. But, the sound on my comp was EXTREMELY quiet. The only thing to remedy the situation is to hook up external speakers. Why the hell should I have to hook up external speakers just to get quality sound?

5) The file system. Maybe is just the Windows user inside me rebelling against something different. But, the file system in Linux is terrible and confusing. I ended up putting my files on my desktop just so I could find them. Eventually I found out how easy the file system could be. But, seriously how about a friendly naming scheme for the system files and such. It couldn't be that hard right?

Anyway. I'm done ranting.

3 comments:

Petr Mrázek said...

Well, Amarok is a KDE app, so it's not really consistent with the Gnome environment. You could try exaile, quodlibet, banshee, xmms (winamp clone) or mpd -- this one's more of a music player server and you can use various clients to connect to it - sonata, gmpc, ncmpc (that's a console client)... etc. Lots of music players to choose from.

2) just set it to have no fadeout:
settings->
configure amarok->
playback->
no fadeout

2) If you're talking about the preview thing in gnome (playing sounds in the file browser), then just turn that crap off:
# gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/preview_sound never

Alternatively:
1. Choose Edit -> Preferences from a file manager window, then choose Preview.
2. Select an option for the Preview sound files preference - like, NEVER ;)

Volume ... i have no idea. Not without moar details.

Screen resolution: The autodetection sometimes fails. It's possible to resolve that, but not through blogpost comments. Also more details needed.

File system: eh. It's unixy. Good thing is that you mostly don't have to touch that crap anyway. All that's really needed should be accessible from the Places menu.

There are some developments around the naming scheme ( http://www.gobolinux.org/ ), but it's still far from mainstream - none of the large distros implement this. Basically, in the gobolinux, the traditional filesystem 'stuff' is hidden and users are presented with something that makes sense :)


... And above all else: if you have a problem, ASK. check forums/troll irc/google/
Second: explore the system. It's quite tweakable.
Third: jabber - peterix !at! gmail !dot! com . Just don't spam me at 3AM. I'm in the CET timezone.

Sean H said...

I've tried searching for info to help me regarding my sound and resolution issues and have found nothing useful.

The sound issue:
Basically the problem is that it tops at an extremely low level. I have to put my ear next to my speakers to hear anything. I've tried changing a bunch of settings, looking for different sound drivers and such and nothing works. It's an overall problem that applies to any sound. System sounds, music, video, everything.

The screen resolution issue:
Default is 1280x800. Normally I would just leave the settings as are. But, I was trying to play Battle for Wesnoth and when starting the game it would just pull up a black screen. I thought maybe it was the screen resolution that was messing it up so I went to try and lower the resolution and when I hit apply (or whatever it is that saves the settings, not at my comp to check) my screen goes black. Looked all over the web looking for both general problems like this people have had and also other people encountering this problem with the game and couldn't find any info of value.




To your 2)
I accidentally clicked on a video file and when I closed it to watch to correct file the sound fromt he first kept playing. Like forever. I figured it would only go for a little while so I went to have a smoke, came back and it was still going. I was interested as to how long this would go on and it ended up playing the sound for the whole show. I will admit though that I haven't searched for a resolution to this problem. I figure there is no point trying to fix it if I can't really hear anything in the first place.




Also, out of curiousity. Any recommendations for good security software for Ubuntu? Firewall, anti-keylogger. Stuff like that.

Petr Mrázek said...

Alsa (the sound driver) is sometimes really weird. One box I recently set up had the opposite problem: everything was too loud. This was with one of the fake Audigy cards that are really just rebranded SB 24bit ones...

You could try the OSS drivers: http://www.opensound.com/ . I tried them once, because they introduced support for the X-fi cards. They have even support for setting volume on individual apps. Only drawback could be that to install you have to remove the original alsa driver and it doesn't integrate well with Gnome.

Sound playing indefinitely: seems like the window gets closed,m but the actual app still runs. I don't know which one you use, but I guess it's Totem (the default one). Push Alt+F2 and run 'killall -9 totem'. That should probably stop it.

Resolution thing:
seems like your video driver isn't capable of modechanges. That's not good. Could you post the contents of '~/.xsession-errors', '/var/log/Xorg.0.log' and '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'? -- preferably right after it does that?

Security:
Ubuntu is pretty secure by default. If you want more, you can install something like firestarter. That should allow you to configure the builtin firewall much easier.
I don't know much about anti-keyloggers, but you could check out some Linux rootkit detector like http://www.chkrootkit.org/. These are useful to check if you've been hacked.