March 12, 2008

Linux

So, I've successfully finished hooking up my buddies comp with Linux (Ubuntu). I went in with no knowledge of the OS and am still a total noob. But, that's okay. Going through all of this has made me see the light. I need Linux. Right now I'm downloading the latest Kubuntu release and plan on hooking my laptop up with some dual boot goodness. Why dual boot you ask? Well, because I'll probably end up fucking my shit up. I like to dick around too much. So, I'm sure I'll kill it a few times before I learn my lesson. But, what fuck is a having a computer if you don't kill it and bring it back to life every once in a while right?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Breaking and rebuilding Linux without reinstalling is a great way to learn about the system. Get familiar with the basics, then next year, find an old piece of trash and put Linux From Scratch on it. There's nothing like making your own init scripts and setting up the boot process yourself.

Sean H said...

That's a great idea! I have had one problem though. I can't figure out how to make my wireless work. It's really strange because using the Ubuntu liveCD my wireless worked. But, with a Kubuntu install it doesn't work. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Unknown said...

The wireless problem sounds like you have an RaLink card, which had serious bugs in 7.10. Supposedlly this was related to changes in the kernel, but I never understood why they worked on the live CD but not an install.

If this computer isn't required for daily productivity, consider downloading and installing the Hardy (8.04) daily snapshot. These bugs are fixed and I believe that Hardy Alpha is actually more stable than Gutsy release. Plus, you get FF3 (though it's still in beta and there are minor rendering problems).
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Best of luck.

Daeng Bo
http://ibeentoubuntu.com

Sean H said...

Actually I have an Intel wireless card. But, it doesn't really matter anymore. After playing around in Kubuntu on the live cd I decided that I liked Gnome better than KDE and switched to Ubuntu.